Park and recreation professionals perform essential work and are community heroes. Take your career in this vital field to the next level by becoming a Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP). Whether you want to make a bigger impact on your community, keep your expertise fresh or improve your professional status, becoming a CPRP will open the door to bigger and better opportunities.
Why Become CPRP?
- Join an elite group of more than 6,700 CPRPs who have committed to advancing our field.
- Increase the confidence outside groups and the community have in you and your organization.
- Show your employer that you’re a valuable member of the team and that you’re willing to learn new things.
- Gain an edge over other candidates when that promotion opportunity pops up or your dream job calls.
Complete an application to become a CPRP between March 1, 2021 and April 30, 2021* to receive a free Basic CPRP Learning Pack (up to $250 value) to help prepare you for the exam.
*Any applications received before March 1, 2020 or after April 30, 2021 are not eligible for the promotion. All applicable CPRP application and exam fees must be paid in full between March 1 and April 30 to qualify for the free CPRP Prep Course promotion. Learn more in the CPRP Special Offer FAQ.
The CPRP certification is designed for the beginning to mid-level professional. CPRP candidates must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:*
- Have received, or are set to receive, a bachelor’s degree from a program accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT)
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher from any institution in recreation, park resources, or leisure services, and one year of full-time experience in the field
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a major other than recreation, park resources, or leisure services, and three years of full-time experience in the field
- Have an associate's degree and four years of full-time experience in the field
- Have a high school degree or equivalent, and five years of full-time experience in the field
*Qualifying documentation is not required at the time of initial application; however, some applications will be randomly selected for audit to ensure the accuracy and validity of the data provided. Learn more.
How to Become a CPRP
To become a CPRP you must meet the eligibility requirements, complete an application and pass the exam. CPRP certification is valid for two years.
Apply by Mail
Individual Application and Exam Fees
$250 for students (Please contact email@example.com for eligibility and requirements)
$270 for NRPA members
$314 for non-NRPA members
Applicants will receive an email notification from NRPA within one month of applying, verifying the completion of the application process and instructions on how to schedule the exam.
Learn More About the Exam
Group Discount Packages
Apply for group discounts on CPRP application fees and study materials.
Agency Package Application
University Package Application
If you have any questions or experience any difficulties applying for the CPRP examination, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPRP Prep Materials and Resources
Looking for study materials and other CPRP resources? Learn more about the CPRP certification with our prep materials and handbooks, and access special testing accommodations forms.
CPRP Prep Materials and Resources
Impact Your Career, Impact Your Community: Become a CPRP
Thursday, March 18 | 2 p.m. EDT
Looking to advance in your career? This free webinar will show you how easy it is to become a Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) and will provide valuable insight on the benefits of this certification from the National Certification Board Chair Tiffany White.
Register for the Free Webinar