Special Notice for Certified Professionals Expiring March 1, 2021:

All certified professionals expiring March 1, 2021 must complete all 2.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) required for renewal by the end of the day, March 1, 2021. CEUs earned after this date will not be accepted for this renewal cycle. Renewal applications, CEU petition forms, Professional Service Experience forms and associated documents and fees will be accepted until May 31, 2021.

Due to the current circumstances, the National Certification Board and NRPA will extend your CPRP certification expiration date by six months upon request, this would update a March 1, 2021 expiration to September 1, 2021. Certified professionals who request an extension will maintain a new two-year certification cycle beginning and ending in September. Certified professionals who have received an extension from September 1, 2020 to March 1, 2021 are not eligible for an additional extension unless granted through appeal. Eligible parties may request an extension online through the My NRPA tab in your NRPA Profile by May 31, 2021.


CPRP is more than just letters after your name — it is an investment in your career that demonstrates your practical knowledge and the current real-world skills necessary in today’s changing park and recreation environment. Maintaining up-to-date certification demonstrates your dedication to professional development to employers, fellow professionals and the community. CPRP certification is valid for two years. 

You have two options to renew your certification:

Renewal Option 1

Earn 2.0 CEUs within the two-year certification cycle and submit a completed recertification application, The recertification application can either be downloaded or completed online in the Online Certification Center.

Renewal Application Fees

  • Member: $65.00
  • Non-Member: $75.00

Download Renewal Application Apply Online

How to Earn CEUs Towards CPRP Certification Renewal

  • Attend the NRPA Annual Conference, state conferences, local events and trainings that offer CEUs
  • Complete online learning courses and webinars that offer CEUs
  • Complete college or university credits
    • Academic credits can be transferred to CEU equivalents by taking the total number of classroom instructional hours and dividing it by 10
  • Earn Professional Service Experience (PSE) Points through contributions to the parks and recreation field via NRPA or a state affiliate (i.e., serving as a committee chair, speaking at a conference, serving as an accreditation visitor, etc.)
  • Complete a CEU Petition for equivalent credits for courses, institutes and workshops that do not directly offer CEUs


Renewal Option 2

Successfully retake the CPRP examination.

Apply for CPRP Exam Only


For questions or information on certification renewal, please email us at certification@nrpa.org.

News Stories

6.17.21Top Story

Las Vegas has 3 design options for urban central park

6.17.21Around the Country

Zoo hospital reflects progress in exotic animal medicine

6.17.21Around the Country

Can redwoods endure logging, extreme weather?