The Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) certification program is the most comprehensive training program on playground hazard identification and risk management methods offered nationwide. By becoming a CPSI, you will learn how to identify hazards on public playgrounds and playground equipment, rank those hazards according to injury potential and apply that knowledge, as well as how to establish a playground safety program.
Why Become a CPSI?
- Learn from expert instructors and network with other professionals from the field.
- Protect children from injury due to playground hazards.
- Reduce your agency’s liability and take your career to the next level.
CPSI candidates should be at least 18 years of age and must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
How to Become a CPSI
To become a CPSI, you must successfully pass the CPSI exam. The CPSI exam consists of 100 questions, 95 scored and 5 unscored pre-test. CPSI certification is valid for three years.
CPSI candidates have two options for taking the exam:
Online Blended Learning Course and Exam
The CPSI Blended Learning Course is a combination of the CPSI Online Learning Course, live training sessions conducted virtually by CPSI instructors and the CPSI computer-based exam.
- CPSI Online Learning Course: This course provides in-depth analysis of ASTM standards related to playground safety focused on the process of safety inspection from design, through audit and inspection, to maintenance and risk management practices. Participants must complete the entire Online Learning Course at least 24 hours before the CPSI Virtual Session.
- Virtual Instructor Training Session: This training session led by the CPSI course instructor provides practical training on how to apply the ASTM standards and the CPSC guidelines to playground environments. The training is conducted through a four-hour Zoom meeting.
- Computer-Based Exam: Participants will be provided with information on how to schedule their exam at a nearby professional testing facility. Exam results are provided on-site at the conclusion of the exam.
CPSI candidates are highly encouraged to take the course for initial certification.
CPSI Course CEUs: 1.5
Register for a Course
The computer-based exam is administered through PSI Services Professional Testing Company and is available at more than 200 testing centers across the U.S. and internationally. Applicants will have 90 days from the time of registration to take the CPSI exam. To prepare for the exam, candidates are highly encouraged to participate in the blended learning course or take the CPSI online prep course. Exam results are provided on-site at the conclusion of the exam.
Important Notice: Update Concerning Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
View a list of all of the currently closed computer-based testing sites and tentative reopen dates.
Apply for the Computer-Based Exam
Find a Test Center Near You
CPSI Prep Materials and Resources
Looking for study materials and other CPSI resources? Learn more about the CPSI certification with our online prep materials and handbooks, review playground standards and guidelines, and access special testing accommodations forms.
CPSI Prep Materials and Resources
For more information about becoming a CPSI, contact NRPA Playground Safety Specialist, Terrence Johnson at email@example.com.