The August issue of Parks & Recreation magazine is out now, and on today’s bonus episode of Open Space Radio, we’re diving deeper into one of this month’s feature stories, titled, “Homelessness: How Can I Help?”
The article explores how homelessness continues to be a serious social and public health issue in the U.S., and how park and recreation agencies are increasingly helping to support their community members who are experiencing homelessness and housing instability.
I’m thrilled to welcome the authors of the article, Austin Barrett, NRPA’s evaluation manager, and Allison Colman, NRPA’s director of health, to today’s episode. And, we are honored to be joined by a leader in the field whose department has been providing essential services for people experiencing homelessness for years now, Greg White, the director of City of Decatur, Georgia’s Active Living Division.
Tune in to the full episode below to learn more about how park and recreation professionals can be part of the solution to this issue. You’ll also learn:
- Statistics on how homelessness is an increasingly serious social and public health issue in the U.S.
- Ways park and recreation professionals can provide support to people experiencing homelessness, even if it’s outside of their core responsibilities
- What types of resources Greg and his staff at Decatur Active Living Division are providing people experiencing homelessness
- How intentional partnerships, relationships and trust are central to this work
- The importance of Community Wellness Hubs in supporting this work
- How we can break down the stigma surrounding homelessness, and much more!
- Parks and Recreation: Addressing Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders
- Learn more about Community Wellness Hubs
- Blog Post: Solutions to Homelessness — The Role of Parks and Recreation
- Blog Post: Understanding Homelessness: The Extent, Causes and Local Solutions
- City of Decatur Active Living
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): Local Assistance for People Experiencing Homelessness
- HUD Exchange: Point-in-Time Count and Housing Inventory Count
- HUD Exchange: Homelessness Assistance Programs by State
Listen to the episode for the full story.
You can also listen to Open Space Radio on Spotify, Stitcher, iHeartRadio and other podcast services.