Protecting open space, connecting children to nature, and engaging communities in conservation practices.
Core to the mission of public parks and recreation is the preservation of natural resources and the promotion of good conservation and stewardship practices. In today’s world, where conservation and environmental stewardship is on everyone’s minds, public parks and lands are viewed as essential to protect open space and preserve nature – our land, water, trees, open space, wildlife.
Wildlife Explorers is NRPA’s turn-key initiative that connects youth to nature by utilizing local park and recreation spaces to encourage nature discovery.
NRPA’s Great Urban Parks Campaign aims to improve environmental and social outcomes in underserved communities through green infrastructure projects in local parks.
NRPA is part of the Monarch Joint Venture (MJV), a partnership of national organizations and government agencies that are leading the way to restore monarch populations nationwide. Through MJV, NRPA is better connecting our members and our network of parks to monarch conservation resources.
Click here to learn more about NRPA's other initiatives aimed at connecting communities to nature and preserving open space.
- Watch how Five Rivers MetroParks engaged their community to help save trees after the Emerald Ash Borer threatened their existence.
- Portland Parks and Recreation put a price tag on their trees to demonstrate their value.
- Pollinator-Friendly Parks. How to Enhance Parks, Gardens, and other Greenspaces for Native Pollinator Insects (The Xerces Society)
- Monarch Resources Guide for Parks (400 KB PDF)
- Full Report of the Conservation Task Force (8 MB PDF)
- Top Ten Recommendations on how to implement conservation practices in your community (1 MB PDF)
- Conservation Best Management Practices and Case Studies: The full library is available to NRPA Members in the Knowledge Center (Environment & Conservation > Conservation Task Force Resources ). Five public selections are shown below:
- Rain Gardens (2 MB PDF)
- Reduced Mowing Saves Funds and Improves Natural Resources (1 MB PDF)
- Creating Partnerships to Engage Youth in Conservation and Stewardship (5 MB PDF)
- How to Develop an Energy Conservation Program for Your Agency (5 MB PDF)
- Wind and Solar Learning Center (2 MB PDF)