What Parks and Recreation Can Do About Equity
August 3-5, 2016
NRPA and thought leaders from both inside and outside the field gathered recently for an interactive event designed to help us better understand how park design, policy implementation and program development can influence the way communities are served, the diversity of the workforce and how Portland has actively and continuously worked to engage community members to create better, more equitable outcomes.
What Was Learned:
- How cities and agencies across the country are working to address racial and economic disparities.
- How Portland has designed policies and programs to better serve residents.
- How park and recreation leaders and residents collaborated on effective community engagement strategies.
- View the event agenda.
- Webinar: Making Community Connections (September 8, 2016)
Presentations and Materials:
- NRPA Equity Survey Results
- Racial Equity Workshop Slides
- GARE Racial Equity Toolkit
- GARE Strategy
- East Portland Community Center Presentation
- Flyer for iUrban Teen
- Government Alliance on Race and Equity
- Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board Racial Equity Toolkit
- Park and Recreation Magazine: December 2015 Racial Equity in Parks and Recreation
- City of Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative
- National League of Cities’ Race, Equity, and Leadership
View photos from the Portland event below!
For questions or more information contact Michele White, NRPA’s Director of Strategic Initiatives and Governance email@example.com