Local parks and recreation provide vital youth services year-round, but they are particularly essential when school is not in session. U.S. adults say having opportunities to play sports and other physical activities, job train or develop a skill, and being able to access nutritious meals are among the most beneficial offerings for youth outside school hours.
Most beneficial youth offerings include:
- Sports and other physical activities
- Job training or skill development
- Access to nutritious meals
- Volunteering/community service projects
- Outdoor learning or environmental education