Implementing Park Improvement Projects
Following the series of steps outlined in this video can help park and recreation agencies carry out park improvement projects.
Park Improvement Projects
- How to use Public Parks to Improve Climate, Health, and Equity Outcomes.
- Parks for Inclusion Initiative — online set of resources
- Parks for Inclusion Policy Guide — set of guidelines
- Public Relations Trends and Tactics — webinar
- Spray Play for All: Designing Inclusive Splash Parks — NRPA Live, online session
Assessing the Needs of Your Community
Making sure all community members have a voice when starting a park improvement project is important. Learn about the benefits of involving the community and see the steps to develop a community engagement strategy in this video.
Community Assessments and Customer Service
- Community Engagement Resource Guide: Creating Equitable Access to High-Performing Parks — guide
- Best Practices for Customer Feedback Surveys — webinar
- Customer Feedback Survey — online resource
- Big Data in Customer Service and Why it Matters — NRPA Live, online session
Creating Inclusive Spaces in Parks and Recreation
Make sure your park and recreation facility is open, welcoming and engaging for everyone by using the best practices outlined in this video.
Equity and Inclusion
- Promoting LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Parks and Recreation — webinar
- Inclusive Outreach for Equitable Results: Using a Logic Model for the Get Moving Initiative — NRPA Live, online session
- Find other NRPA online courses on social equity.
Sustaining Your Project: Grants and Budgets
Ensure your park improvement project can continue operating past the initial funding cycle using the tips provided in this video.
Grants and Fundraising
- Grant and Fundraising Resources (stay tuned for webinars associated with these opportunities)
- How to Start, Build, and Grow your Local Park Foundation — NRPA Live, online session
- Creating, Improving, Protecting, and Advocating through Sustainable Private/Public Partnerships — NRPA Live, online session
- 10-Minute Walk Learning Series: Public Funding Opportunities — webinar
- Find other NRPA online courses on revenue and customer service.
Collecting Data and Sharing the Story of Your Project
Share the information that conveys the impact and value your park improvement project brings to the local community through marketing and public relations using the steps in this video.
Marketing and Storytelling
- Once Upon a Pie Chart: Using Data to Tell Your Story — NRPA Live, online session
- 2019 Big Data Bundle — NRPA Live, online session
- Marketing and Communications: Evaluation — online course
- Marketing and Communications: Needs Assessment — online course
- Find other NRPA online courses on marketing and public relations.
Learn More with NRPA Resources
NRPA provides many ways to continue learning about the topics integral to successful park improvement projects. Find some sample resources listed by topic-area below. Also, search through Parks & Recreation magazine, NRPA’s flagship publication, for article on these topics and visit NRPA Connect to network with other park and recreation professionals online.