The June issue of Parks & Recreation magazine is out now, and on today’s bonus episode of the podcast, we’re diving deeper into one of this month’s feature stories titled, “Making Wellness More Inclusive.”
The story highlights a new inclusive wellness center that is part of the parks and recreation department in West Lafayette, Indiana, and today I’m joined by two individuals who were critical to its design.
Today’s guests are Brent Ross, the Sports, Recreation and Entertainment Practice Leader for Perkins&Will, and Dylan Fischer, a project architect and associate with Perkins&Will, which is a global design practice with a goal of designing places that make a positive difference in the world.
Tune in to learn more about how inclusion was at the forefront when considering the design of this space, as well as what excites Brent and Dylan about this project. You’ll also learn:
- What to consider when planning for inclusive spaces and facilities
- Why community engagement was important for this project, especially getting input from community members who have been under-represented in community outreach efforts
- How inclusive locker rooms and restrooms are ensuring the privacy and safety of all individuals who use them
- How concerns about certain inclusive features were addressed from an educational standpoint
- What lessons were learned and key takeaways for park and recreation professionals seeking to create more inclusive spaces, and much more!