Homelessness in Parks
Los Angeles, California
January 25-27, 2017
NRPA, in conjunction with Los Angeles Parks and Recreation, brought together park and recreation leaders to discuss their role in supporting innovative efforts to eliminate homelessness nationwide. Using case studies and examples from Los Angeles and around the country, participants in this Innovation Lab learned from thought leaders from both inside and outside the field on eliminating homelessness while providing public parks and recreation centers for all users.
What Was Learned:
- The state of homelessness in America, and how federal, state and city agencies across the nation are doing to address homelessness.
- How park and recreation departments across the nation are working under city mandates and across agencies to end homelessness.
- Best practices from park and recreation agencies on how they’re meeting their missions of providing safe, accessible park and recreation services for all users.
- View the event agenda.
Innovation Lab Media Coverage:
- Parks & Recreation Magazine: March 2017 Los Angeles Innovation Lab Tackles Homelessness
- Sasaki: NRPA Lab Addresses Homelessness in Parks
- LA This Week: Homeless in Parks (video)
- Skid Row’s Gladys Park Meet with the National Recreation and Park Association (video)
Resources for Addressing Homelessness
Presentations and Materials:
- Stories and Statistics: Understanding Homelessness in our Parks and Cities
- Homelessness (NAEH Presentation)
Tools and Resources:
- Recorded Webinar: What is Park and Rec's Role in Combating Homelessness?
- Homelessness in Parks: A summary of results from an NRPA membership survey
- Sasaki: Understanding Homelessness
- The U.S. Conference of Mayor’s Report on Hunger and Homelessness: A status report on homelessness and hunger in America’s cities
- National Alliance to End Homelessness: Snapshot of Homelessness
- National Alliance to End Homelessness: Ten Essentials
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: Homelessness Assistance
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council: Talking points on homeless encampments and sweeps
- United States Interagency Council on Homelessness: Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Advancing the Dialogue
- Verbal Judo: A communication tool to prevent potential conflicts from escalating out of control
- Trauma Informed Care
- The Conditioned (video)
Examples from Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks Comprehensive Homeless Strategy Roadmap
- Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority
- Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks’ Temporary Right-of Entry Permit to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority
- Politico Magazine: It Makes You Human Again: How Albuquerque figured out how to really help its homeless population and save money in the process
- The New York Times: Rights Battles Emerge in Cities Where Homelessness Can Be a Crime
- Sustainable City Network: Saving America’s Public Housing
- Los Angeles Times: NIMBYism Rears Its Head Again in L.A.’s Fight Against Homelessness
- Denver Parks and Recreation Now Hiring Homeless as Full-Time Seasonal Workers
For questions or more information contact Michele White, NRPA’s Director of Strategic Initiatives and Governance firstname.lastname@example.org