Pictured: Gabby Vera, CPRP, regional park superintendent for Maricopa County (Arizona) Parks and Recreation.
Season two of Open Space Radio begins today! For the next year, we will focus on conversations around the 2024 NRPA annual theme, “Where You Belong,” and we’re so excited to kick off this season with a wonderful conversation.
On today’s episode, we’re joined by Gabby Vera, CPRP, the regional park superintendent for Maricopa County (Arizona) Parks and Recreation.
Between her session at the 2023 NRPA Annual Conference and her Open Space blog post, titled, “You’ve Got This” — which explored practical strategies to boost self-confidence, overcome imposter syndrome and thrive in your leadership journey — we knew we wanted to have a conversation with Gabby on the podcast.
Tune in to our full conversation below to learn more about Gabby’s career journey as a park and recreation professional, as well as strategies she’s used to overcome imposter syndrome. You’ll also learn:
- What imposter syndrome is and how it can show up in your life or career
- How to create psychologically safe spaces that encourage staff to take on new challenges and ask for help
- How to view challenges as opportunities to grow and learn new skills
- How to support colleagues, acknowledge them for stepping up and celebrate their successes
- And much more!
Listen to the episode for the full story.
Resources Discussed in this Episode:
- Book Recommendation: The Imposter Cure: You are not a fraud, you deserve success, you can believe in yourself
- Book Recommendation: The Imposter Syndrome Workbook
- Book Recommendation: Own Your Greatness: Overcome Imposter Syndrome
- Book Recommendation: Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work
- American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration Mentorship Program