We are just a few weeks away from NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day, which is taking place on Saturday, June 10. Family Health & Fitness Day is an annual celebration that promotes the importance of parks and recreation in keeping communities healthy.
I’m thrilled to be talking more about Family Health & Fitness Day on today’s episode, as well as all the ways parks and recreation provides accessible, close-to-home health and wellness opportunities in communities across the country.
Our guests on the show today are Cina Makres, a program specialist on NRPA’s health team, who is leading up NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day efforts this year, as well as Daniel Hatcher, the senior director of strategic partnerships at Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Tune in to our full conversation below as we discuss how you can join in on the Family Health & Fitness Day celebrations in your community, as well as why parks and recreation is so well-positioned to build healthier communities.
You’ll also learn:
- Why Family Health & Fitness Day is a great opportunity to build awareness around the health and well-being benefits of the spaces and programs your agency manages
- Why partnerships are critical to building healthier communities and how you can leverage them on Family Health & Fitness Day
- How you can use the Family Health & Fitness Day Toolkit to assist with your marketing and promotions efforts
- What other resources are available (see below!) to help you communicate the importance of parks and recreation as it pertains to overall health
- Ideas for celebrating Family Health & Fitness Day with your own family (or chosen family), and much more!
Listen to the episode for the full story.
Additional Resources Discussed in this Episode:
- Download the Family Health & Fitness Day Toolkit
- Blog Post: Join Us for Family Health & Fitness Day on Saturday, June 10!
- Register Your Family Health & Fitness Day Event with NRPA
- NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day Informational Webinar
- Community Wellness Hubs Toolkit
- Blue Star Families + Healthier Generation Nature BINGO
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: Ways to Keep Active Together
- Kohl’s Healthy at Home
- Let’s Move in Libraries
- Kentucky Youth Tobacco Control Workshop
- Food Research and Action Center