We are just a few weeks away from NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day, which is taking place on Saturday, June 10. Family Health & Fitness Day is an annual celebration that promotes the importance of parks and recreation in keeping communities healthy.
I’m thrilled to be talking more about Family Health & Fitness Day on today’s episode, as well as all the ways parks and recreation provides accessible, close-to-home health and wellness opportunities in communities across the country.
Our guests on the show today are Cina Makres, a program specialist on NRPA’s health team, who is leading up NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day efforts this year, as well as Daniel Hatcher, the senior director of strategic partnerships at Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Tune in to our full conversation below as we discuss how you can join in on the Family Health & Fitness Day celebrations in your community, as well as why parks and recreation is so well-positioned to build healthier communities.
You’ll also learn:
- Why Family Health & Fitness Day is a great opportunity to build awareness around the health and well-being benefits of the spaces and programs your agency manages
- Why partnerships are critical to building healthier communities and how you can leverage them on Family Health & Fitness Day
- How you can use the Family Health & Fitness Day Toolkit to assist with your marketing and promotions efforts
- What other resources are available (see below!) to help you communicate the importance of parks and recreation as it pertains to overall health
- Ideas for celebrating Family Health & Fitness Day with your own family (or chosen family), and much more!
Listen to the episode for the full story.
You can also listen to Open Space Radio on Spotify, Stitcher, iHeartRadio and other podcast services.
Additional Resources Discussed in this Episode:
- Download the Family Health & Fitness Day Toolkit
- Blog Post: Join Us for Family Health & Fitness Day on Saturday, June 10!
- Register Your Family Health & Fitness Day Event with NRPA
- NRPA’s Family Health & Fitness Day Informational Webinar
- Community Wellness Hubs Toolkit
- Blue Star Families + Healthier Generation Nature BINGO
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: Ways to Keep Active Together
- Kohl’s Healthy at Home
- Let’s Move in Libraries
- Kentucky Youth Tobacco Control Workshop
- Food Research and Action Center