National Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place from September 15 through October 15 each year, is a time to celebrate the history, culture, heritage and contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans. This year’s theme is “Unidos: Inclusivity for a Stronger Nation,” and on today’s episode, we’re celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with a park and recreation professional who is playing an integral role when it comes to honoring Hispanic Heritage Month within parks and recreation.
I am thrilled to welcome Edwin Rivera-Guzman to the show today. Edwin is a Certified Park and Recreation Professional, the manager for Recreation and Leisure Solutions, LLC, a Ph.D. student at Clemson University’s School of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Management, and the assistant social media manager for the Maryland-National Capitol Park and Planning Commission.
And, as we begin the 2022 NRPA Annual Conference in Phoenix, a city with a very large Hispanic population and culture, the timing couldn’t be any more perfect for this conversation.
Tune in to the full episode below to learn more about Edwin and all the work he’s doing to lift up Hispanic Heritage Month in parks and recreation. You’ll also learn:
- An overview and history of Hispanic Heritage Month
- Ways park and recreation professionals can participate and celebrate this year
- How NRPA Annual Conference attendees can honor Hispanic Heritage Month while in Phoenix
- Why it’s important to celebrate cultural heritage months, such as Hispanic Heritage Month
- What drives Edwin to do the work he’s so passionate about, and much more!
- Hispanic Heritage Month Website
- Hispanic Professionals in Parks and Recreation Facebook Group
- Contact Edwin
Listen to the episode for the full story.