Are You up for a Challenge?
This July, we’re celebrating 30 years of Park and Recreation Month. In recognition of 1985 being an important year for Park and Recreation Month and in honor of our “80’s Baby” status we’re challenging you to show us how you get retro in your parks and recreation! Show us how gnarly you or your friends, family, coworkers and community members can be in a 15 second Instagram video. So dust off those leg warmers and get ready for this epic challenge!
You could sweat it out in an aerobics class gone retro, show off some rad 80s dance moves in your favorite park, wear your best 80s gear to your park or rec center, lip-sync to your favorite 80s jam at your parks and rec (anyone up for a little Madonna?) — the possibilities are endless! Just have fun with it!
We’ll be awarding an $85 Amazon gift card every Thursday starting July 9 to our favorite 80s video posted on Instagram with the hashtags #JulyPRM30 and #JulyTBTChallenge.*
Entering the Throwback Thursday Instagram Video Challenge is like, easy to the max! Here’s how:
- Follow us on Instagram (@NRPA)
- Post your totally awesome 15 second video to Instagram using the hashtags #JulyPRM30 and #JulyTBTChallenge
- That’s it! We’ll contact and announce the winner of the weekly prizes on July 9, 16, 23 and 30
We’ll be featuring many of these videos on this webpage and in our social media posts! Please note, Park and Recreation Month is a family-friendly activity. Please no distasteful or vulgar videos.
Incorporate the TBT Instagram Video Challenge into Your Rad Activities
- Theme some of your everyday activities in 80s style, capture it in a 15 second video and post it on Instagram using the hashtags #JulyPRM30 and #JulyTBTChallenge.
- Use social media to send out an 80s challenge idea each week in July to your friends and community. See who steps up to your challenge and remind them to post a 15 second video on Instagram using the hashtags #JulyPRM30 and #JulyTBTChallenge.
- Encourage your community members to enter the contest and to use your park and recreation facilities as their 80s backdrop!
- Print out copies of the official, totally rad 2015 Park and Recreation Month calendar and have camp participants, coworkers or even you write out what videos they have posted or want to post as part of the challenge.
*Please refer to Official Rules for details on the contest and claiming prizes. Winners will be contacted via a direct message from NRPA on Instagram and must accept the prize within 24 hours.
Other Ways to Get Involved in Park and Recreation Month
There are lots of ways you can get involved with Park and Recreation Month—whether you’re a park and recreation professional or park and recreation super fan! You can get involved by:
- Hanging up the official Park and Recreation Month poster. We have lots of banners, web graphics and artwork in our toolkit.
- Find a righteous Park and Recreation Month event in a nearby park!
- Connecting with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest)! Not only can you participate in the contest, but we’ll also be sharing and highlighting Park and Recreation Month events from around the country.
- Ask your local legislators to officially declare July as Park and Recreation Month. Let everyone in your community know how important parks and recreation is.
#JulyPRM30 and #JulyTBTChallenge Social Media