Parks are not just for visiting when the sun is out- nighttime at the park can be just as fun. Attending concerts, watching movies and taking in a bonfire with family and friends are just a few of the top nighttime park interests. Other nighttime activities being provided by many park and recreation agencies around the country include: astronomy viewing, nighttime farmers markets, nature after dark programs, camping and lots of opportunities for being active (e.g., glow runs, sports leagues, exercise classes). Check out your local park and recreation agency’s list of nighttime activities near you!
- Ninety-one percent of residents are interested in attending nighttime park activities.
- The most popular nighttime park activities are:
- Music or performance events (56%)
- Movies in the park (47%)
- Family and friends nights, such as a bonfire social (47%)
- Millennials and Gen Xers are more likely than baby boomers to be interested in attending movies in the park (51% and 53% vs 38%, respectively)
- Those living in the West (36%) are more likely to be interested in attending star gazing events than those in the Northeast (21%), South (27%) or Midwest (19%)
- Parents are more likely to be interested in attending a nighttime event overall compared to those without children (95% vs 89%, respectively)