Current Grant Opportunities
Grants Available for Out-of-School Time Programs – APPLY NOW
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is pleased to announce the availability of grant funds from the Walmart Foundation to support children’s health through park and recreation out-of-school time programs. Grants in 2015 will focus on four main goals:
1. Increase the number of healthy meals children in low-income communities receive through the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) during out-of-school times;
2. Provide evidence-based, age appropriate nutrition literacy to children that creates behavior change by teaching the importance of healthy eating;
3. Implement nutrition standards that increase access to healthier foods and support a healthy eating environment; and
4. Promote meal and program efficiencies that will reduce costs, maximize existing resources, decrease food waste, and lead to more sustainable meal programs.
Applicants not meeting all of the above requirements are not eligible for this grant.
- Be a local government agency (e.g., municipal park and recreation department, tribal recreation department, park district, etc.)
- Serve meals/snacks through both the SFSP and the CACFP in 2015.
- Be a member of NRPA at the Premier level in order to receive grant funds.
Availability of Funding
One-year grants are available and are expected to range from $15,000 to $25,000. Additional in-kind nutrition literacy materials valued at up to $7,000 will also be provided to each grantee.
Matching funds are not required.
Use of Funds
Grant funds will be designated for expenditures that help local park and recreation agencies achieve the stated goals of the program: increase healthy meals served to children; provide evidence-based nutrition literacy to children; implement nutrition and physical activity standards; and promote meal and program efficiencies that will lead to more sustainable meal programs.
Application Due Date
Applications are due at midnight ET on Monday, March 9, 2015. It is anticipated that NRPA will notify all applicants by April 3, 2015.
Applications must be submitted online. Access the application here.