Park and recreation professionals are keenly attuned to their surroundings and the preserving of nature and the environment. Nearly 9 in 10 adults support their local parks and recreation in their sustainability actions. From planting trees and native vegetation to transitioning gas and diesel equipment (e.g., mowers, leaf blowers, vehicle fleets) to electric and/or hydrogen, the publics’ continued support of their local parks and recreation sustainability measures will make a lasting impact.
- 88 percent of U.S. adults support their local park and recreation agency implementing sustainability initiatives.
- Top actions include:
- Planting trees and native vegetation
- Updating to LED lighting and other energy-efficient products
- Setting aside dedicated land to protect natural habitats
- Expanding areas of greenspace
Sustainability in Parks and Recreation Report, Park and Recreation Sustainability Practices, Resource Guide for Planning, Designing and Implementing Green Infrastructure in Parks, Green Infrastructure Evaluation Framework, Green Stormwater Infrastructure in Parks Report, NRPA Three Pillars: Conservation