Session Type: Speed Session (20 miniutes)
Track: Health and Wellness
Park and recreation agencies and their staff play an integral role in ensuring access to healthy foods to support community health and well-being. Through lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic, here are five key ways park and recreation professionals can play an even greater role in supporting community nutrition, and support food access and health opportunities for community members of all ages:
- Innovating food distribution services, including partnerships to support food access beyond federal child nutrition programs.
- Supporting community gardening and CSA programs to build connection with nature and the food system.
- Offering SNAP and WIC benefit assistance, including eligibility screenings, enrollment support and retention assistance.
- Hosting farmers markets to increase access to fresh, local foods and support local economy.
- Conducting well-being checks and serving as community resource centers to connect community members to local support systems.
Program Manager, National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)