Directors School provides park and recreation directors nationwide with exclusive two-year leadership program
Ashburn, Va. (Aug 28, 2019) — The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) announces the completion of its 2019 Directors School with 83 graduates from across the country. NRPA’s Directors School is a premier, exclusive two-year professional development opportunity that prepares new and potential park and recreation directors to be effective leaders. Students who complete the program leave with the knowledge and confidence to face emerging challenges, improve operations and maximize positive impact on their communities.
“In addition to our year-two graduates, we had 93 students attend their first year, which led to our largest Directors School ever,” said Dirk Richwine, the director of Directors School. “Graduates tell us the expertise offered during Directors School is exceptional and the networking opportunity is invaluable, which is a testament to the overall quality of the program itself, and the instructors that work hard to prepare park and recreation’s current and future leaders. Congratulations to this year’s graduates.”
Key subject areas covered in NRPA Directors School include:
- Leadership Development
- Building a Responsive Team
- Creating a High-Performance Agency
- Community Leadership
- Creating a Strategy-Focused Organization
- Creating a Data-Driven Organization
- Business Strategies for Financial Stability
- Philanthropic Funding
- Developing Capital Improvements Programs and Financial Plans
- Navigating Successfully in a Political Environment
- Building Resilient Communities
- Director's Role in Advocacy
- Directors Role in Community Development
- Building an Impactful Legacy through Conservation
- Responding to Community Needs
- Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change
- Crisis Management
- Innovation and Creativity
- Parks and Recreation as a Partners
- Economic Benefits of Parks and Recreation
The next NRPA Directors School will be held August 16-20, 2020 at the Hyatt Lodge in Oak Brook, Illinois.
For more information about the NRPA Directors School, click here.
To learn more about NRPA, visit www.nrpa.org.
About the National Recreation and Park Association
The National Recreation and Park Association is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that all Americans have access to parks and recreation for health, conservation and social equity. Through its network of 60,000 recreation and park professionals and advocates, NRPA encourages the promotion of healthy and active lifestyles, conservation initiatives and equitable access to parks and public space. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.