Through a partnership with Darden Foundation, NRPA offered grants for community gardens through the 2015 Grow Your Park grant program. The grantees for the 2015 program were selected. The primary goal of these grants is to benefit low-income families through the donation of locally grown fruits and vegetables.
Research through Grow Your Park has shown that community gardens contribute a number of positive impacts on participants and the surrounding community, such as
- Supporting community health and wellness, and healthy lifestyles
- Creating and strengthening intergenerational connections
- Revitalizing neighborhood parks
- Providing access to fresh produce and affordable nutritious food
- Promoting self-sufficiency
- Strengthening community through public-nonprofit partnerships
- Growing connections to the natural environment
- Supporting children’s physical and emotional development
- Encouraging youth entrepreneurship and “green” career paths
For more information about the Grow Your Park program, contact Colleen Pittard.