Why I love July Oh and Park and Rec Month Too
July is my favorite month. It always has been and I am pretty sure, it always will be. For one, I love that when July comes you know it is really summer – the heat, the lazy days, the picnics and family time, vacations and day trips – it all seems to happen in July. All of the aforementioned being some of my favorite things I wait for all year.
This year, I have a new reason to love July: Park and Recreation Month!
What a great way to show the nation the important role of parks and recreation? And to think that, across the country all month long, the park and recreation field is coming together to celebrate the great things they bring to a community, it is pretty amazing.
From what I have heard and seen already, I’d say we are truly getting wild for parks and rec this July. This literally makes my month to see all the fun ways you are celebrating and it is only July 2!
Of course, what makes Park and Recreation Month so great is getting the community engaged and out at your facilities and events. We’ve got lots of fun ways you can engage with them – and even WIN PRIZES for doing so!
Here is our list of five fun ways to get wild:
- Say “Cheese” with the Get Wild Poster at one of your Park and Recreation Month events. Bring your copy and take a picture or video while you and your community gets wild. Share it with us either through email or social media. We'll be pinning pictures to our “Get Wild” board on Pinterest too
- Share our wacky and wonderful video about Park and Recreation Month or make one up yourself. We’ve got a sample video script in the media outreach kit that can help you get started.
- “Wild out” your Facebook page with the social media avatar. Use it as a status message or as your “profile” image for the month. Facebook is becoming more visual – we just gave you an easy way to get into this trend!
- Have your communitypledge to Get Wild this month! It is as easy as going to the pledge page, entering some info and hitting the pledge button.
- Win prizes with the Get Wild Geocaching contest. You could win one of two full registration packages to the 2012 Congress and Exposition in Anaheim, CA just by updating or hiding a “Get Wild” geocache. This is a great activity that brings people into your parks and facilities and is something that gets people active and engaged. Give it a try this July!
We want to hear (and see) all the ways you are getting wild! Tag us in social media whenever possible, and be sure to email us with your successes (and photos and videos too!) at July@nrpa.org.
Written by: Lauren Hoffmann, senior PR and communications manager.
Tell us, what is one of your top reasons to love July?