NBA FIT is the National Basketball Association’s health and wellness program that encourages physical activity and healthy living, through programs, events and products, for children and families.
NBA FIT encompasses the entire NBA family and supports NBA / WNBA team and player health and wellness initiatives.
- Motivate, inspire and inform kids, adults and families on the importance of physical activity, good nutrition and living healthier lives through resources and programs.
- Encourage youngsters to lead by example at home, and school by being active, eating well and making healthy life choices.
The NBA FIT CLUB currently comprised of more than 700 youth/community programs & schools reaching more than 700,000 participants. More than 150,000 youngsters have participated in NBA FIT events and competitions in 2009-10. Beginning Summer 2010, NBA FIT will begin to register families & coaches individually into the FIT Club.
NBA FIT strives to engage one million kids, adults and families to Pledge NBA FIT for the 2009-10 season. Opportunities to pledge are available on-line at nba.com/nbafit. NBA FIT encourages individuals of all fitness levels to make daily choices that positively affect their health.
• “I pledge to take the steps instead of the escalator, whenever possible”
• “I pledge to add one workout to my schedule once a week”
NBA FIT TEAM
NBA Players, Legends, Coaches
- Richard Hamilton (Detroit Pistons),
- Grant Hill (Phoenix Suns),
- Devin Harris (New Jersey Nets)
- Brandon Roy (Portland Trailblazers),
- Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls),
- David Lee (New York Knicks),
- Dominique Wilkins (NBA Legend),
- Jerome Williams (NBA Legend),
- Lawrence Frank (Former NBA Coach),
- Byron Scott (Former NBA Coach),
- Erik Spoelstra (Miami Heat)
WNBA Players and Legends
- Katie Smith (Detroit Shock),
- Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever),
- Cappie Pondexter (Phoenix Mercury),
- Jennifer Azzi (WNBA Legend)
- Tom Washington (NBA Official),
- June Courteau (WNBA Official)
- Roger Hinds – Head Trainer (New York Knicks),
- Dr. Jackie Berning - Nutritionist
PROGRAMS, EVENTS AND PRODUCTS
- NBA FIT / WNBA FIT Challenge was conducted in all 30 NBA and 5 D-League markets with more than 104,000 youngsters competing at the local, regional and national levels, with the national finals culminating in Dallas at the 2010 NBA All-Star weekend.
- NBA FIT – DRIBBLE, DISH & SWISH, was held in 8 NBA/WNBA markets and with more than 37,000 youngsters competing at the local, regional and national levels. The national finals was also conducted in Dallas at the 2010 NBA All-Star weekend.
- NBA FIT Days celebrating healthy living were held in 35 schools and community centers in conjunction with the FIT Challenge regional competitions. NBA FIT Days featured NBA/WNBA/D-League player and legend appearances. More than 3,500 youth and parents had the opportunity to participate this year.
- NBA FIT Clinics include fitness and health activities and information while incorporating basketball fun, for kids, adults and families. FIT Clinics are held at a variety of setting including the NBA All-Star, NBA Nation Tour, Basketball without Borders and Europe Live.
- NBA FIT Web Site – nba.com/fit is a robust destination for kids, adults & families to learn health and fitness tip from NBA experts. The site also features workouts, recipes and diets from NBA & WNBA players and legends.
- NBA FIT Products has licensed NBA FIT STIX, and NBA VITAMINS while also being featured on Pepperidge Farms Goldfish crackers and at select Toys R Us Feature shops.
- NBA FIT at All-Star – Every year NBA FIT has a large presence throughout all-star weekend. Activities include clinics, games & seminars at the NBA FIT Arena (Jam Session), FIT Celebration fitness clinics, and the National Finals of annual programs.
- NBA FIT WEEK - NBA FIT week is held the first week in January and all 30 NBA teams will celebrate NBA FIT and living healthy but hosting numerous events in their markets. In addition, the NBA highlights these activities through in game drops on nationally televised games throughout the week.