The Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT)
Type of Opportunity:
Combination Virtual and Face-to-Face
Sign-up Expiration Date:
March 31, 2014 application deadline
Danielle Price, 703-858-2195, COAPRT@nrpa.org
Description of opportunity:
The Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT), sponsored by the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), is the national body that accredits Baccalaureate programs in parks, recreation, tourism, and related professions. The Council consists of ten members who represent the profession, including five educators from accredited institutions, three practitioners, one college/university administrator holding an academic appointment of administrative rank, and one public representative. Of the five Educator Representatives, three are nominated by NRPA members (at-large representatives) and two are nominated by accredited Programs (educator representatives).
The Council is currently seeking nominations for one (1) Administrator Representative and one (1) Practitioner Representative (open nomination), to commence immediately. Individuals are welcome to self-nominate.
Level of Workload:
Council members serve three-year terms and may not serve more than two consecutive full terms. Council members review Program self-study reports for compliance with standards, review and approve visitation reports, and establish accreditation policies, procedures, and standards. These responsibilities require approximately twenty to fifty hours of commitment outside of the annual meeting at NRPA Congress each fall. Meetings are scheduled twice annually; a spring teleconference lasting three to four hours and an annual meeting in the fall lasting three to four days.
Travel is required and paid. One in-person meeting per year to be held in conjunction with the NRPA Congress. Council members may also be required to participate in on-site accreditation visits.
Core Requirements for Council Members:
- Current full-time employment in parks, recreation, tourism, or a related profession; or if retired, no more than five (5) years outside full-time employment in parks, recreation, tourism, or a related profession;
- At least one academic degree (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate) in parks, recreation, tourism, or a related professional specialization;
- Seven (7) years or more of full-time professional experience in parks, recreation, tourism, or a related professional specialization;
- Participation in an approved COAPRT Accreditation training within the past five years;
- Maintenance of updated credentials and renewal forms;
- Positive peer and institutional evaluations from involvement with previous visits, if applicable; and
- Membership in NRPA or other related national or international professional association.
Additional Requirement for Practitioners:
A working relationship with higher education in the last three (3) years as evidenced by involvement such as:
- Supervision of fieldwork and/or internship students enrolled in parks, recreation, tourism, and or related professional specialization curricula;
- Service on a planning committee or an advisory group to a college/university program in parks, recreation, tourism, or a related professional specialization; and/or
- Teaching experiences in a program on a full- or part-time basis.
Number of Positions Needed:
Two: one administrator and one public representative
How to apply:
Please submit letter of interest and abbreviated CV to COAPRT@nrpa.org by Monday, March 31st.